Those things you'd never think you'd see, the things you always expected to see, and the things you couldn't even imagine could happen in Paris.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bringing you up to speed (part 1)

I have officially been in Paris for just over a month now, am finally getting settled in and adjusting to my new environment. I live in an apartment just outside of Paris in a town called Puteaux. It's about a 10 minute walk from La Defense, the closest tourist attraction and the closest train station that takes you into or out of Paris.

I have been keeping track of all the things I wanted to write about so as this blog progresses I will try to add them in so that I can catch up to present time.

I guess the best place to start at the moment would be the beginning. The trip to Paris started well, got on flight one, got on flight two, arrived in Newark, collected my bags to check them in with Air India (my flight to Paris) and the first thing I notice when I arrive to check in is the sign that tells you what you can and can't have in your carry-on. This one was different. It had something new on it that I'd never seen on these signs before. Since high school I've seen quite a few of these signs, but never, never had I ever seen a sign that told me I couldn't have grenades in my carry-on! Who would have thought? Really wishing I had a picture of that.

Since then, I have moved into my new apartment, started classes and survived our first transportation strike. They have promised another strike sometime in November -- I guess when people are less willing to try to walk to work. More on that later.

1 comment:

roshynphina said...

oooh! I had forgotten about that! yes, the plane tickets always say 'no guns/rifles' in hand baggage. I dont know if that is an indian thing, or .. i think i say that on thai too..?!